Street Outreach Provides the Following Services:
When appropriate, we may transport you to a recognized Drop In. We can also generate a referral for you, if necessary. Referrals usually include any other service provider, food banks, housing services, community research centres, clothing, employment centres, income resource centres, community meals, and mental health services.
We can transport you to a hospital if you were in a minor altercation or mishap that requires medical attention. This service is not offered if you need Emergency Medical Services (EMS) attention or involvement of the Ottawa Police. Street Outreach sometimes ttransports clients from a medical facility to a confirmed shelter. This intervention is not considered an urgent call requiring police support.
Street Outreach will not transport you if you:
- are eligible for social assistance taxi service
- have other means of transportation, such as taking the bus
- do not show symptoms that would require transport with Outreach Services
- are verbally abusive, aggressive or volatile after initial engagement
- decline appropriate shelter, or referral to appropriate shelter
Nor will the service transport you:
- to medical or legal appointments unless you have a demonstrated need for Street Outreach Services levels of service
- to your personal residence, as it constitutes permanent housing
The following service restrictions apply to client-transportation:
Transport must be within the City of Ottawa. Transportation will not be provided to and from the Province of Quebec.
Furthermore, we are forbidden to transport:
- more than one person at any given time
- medication and personal belongings without the client’s presence
- a client who cannot board and exit the vehicle with minimal assistance
- a client who regularly uses personal mobility equipment that cannot be stowed without minimal assistance
- a client when he/she is in the possession of illegal substances or alcohol and refuses to dispose of the goods prior to transport